Here’s your Sign
“Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel… By which also ye are saved… unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures” (1 Corinthians 15:1-4)
1. The Demand for a Sign
16: 1.The Pharisees and Sadducees came to Jesus and tested him by asking him to show them a sign from heaven.
4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” Jesus then left them and went away.
Peter Declares That Jesus Is the Messiah
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah (Christ) , the Son of the living God.”17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.
God’s Kingdom is built on faith and grace but can only be entered into by those who have Spiritual understanding and revelation!!
Vrs. 17 Jesus tells Simon that he was blessed because no man had given him this answer to His question it came from God Himself.
Only by knowing and believing God can we understand the true meaning of the Blessed Life as Jesus taught on the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5: The Beatitudes
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
My friend the world cannot understand these principles!
Those who are walking in the flesh cannot understand this message! Just like the Pharisees and Sadducees and even Jesus Disciples……
Those who follow man and ungodly ways will never understand these words.
This Bible will be but only another book with words and misunderstandings and interoperations of false teachings….
THE ONLY TIME YOU WILL BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND THESE PRINCIPLES IS WHEN YOU ARE SAVED AND BORN AGAIN AND FULL OF THE SPIRIT OF THE ALMIGHTY GOD!!!
Jesus Christ was Revealed from the beginning
Jesus said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” Luke 24:44
The Old Testament was written over a period of 1000 years and written hundreds of years before Christ came to earth as a man. 354 Prophecies Fulfilled in Jesus Christ
Jesus Christ wants to be reveled right now!!! He was the sign and still is today!
But He wants you and I to be the sign post to lift Him up to each other and to a lost and dying world….
How? Through sharing the gospel and reflecting Christ. “faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ”. Rom 10:17
2. Lets talk about Signposts
I. THE SIGNPOST OF UNITY
A. THE VALUE OF UNITY OF BELIEVERS…
1. It shows that God has sent Christ – Jn 17:21,2321 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.
2. It shows that God has loved the world – Jn 17:2323 I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.
B. SO UNITY IS A SIGNPOST TO THE WORLD…
1. That God loves the world – cf. Jn 3:16
2. That God sent Christ who produces the unity witnessed by the
world – cf. Ep 2:13-16
C. THUS THE IMPORTANCE OF UNITY…
1. Led Paul to condemn division and those who cause it – 1Co
1:10; Ro 16:17-18
2. Led Paul to teach attitudes essential to preserving unity – Ep
4:1-3; Php 2:2-4
[Let’s be sure that we do nothing to destroy the ‘signpost’ of unity;
rather, let’s work toward enhancing its effectiveness.
Another’signpost’ that points one in the right direction is…]
II. THE SIGNPOST OF LOVE
A. THE VALUE OF LOVE FOR ONE ANOTHER…
1. It shows that we have been loved by Christ, whose love we seek
to reflect – Jn 13:3434 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
2. It shows that we are truly His disciples – Jn 13:35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
B. SO LOVE IS A SIGNPOST TO THE WORLD…
1. That Christ has loved His disciples – cf. Jn 15:12-13
2. That those who reflect His love are His true disciples –Ep 5:1-2 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; 2 and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
C. THUS THE IMPORTANCE OF LOVE…
1. Led Paul to encourage churches to increase in love – 1Th 4:9-10 9 Now as to the love of the brethren, you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves are taught by God to love one another; 10 for indeed you do practice it toward all the brethren who are in all Macedonia. But we urge you, brethren, to excel still more,
2. Love Led Paul to consider love as the “bond of perfection” – Col 3:14 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
a. Here we see that love and unity go together
b. By our love for one another, we are more likely to preserve our unity in Christ
[Unity and love also go hand in hand as “Divine Signposts”.
The first lets people know God loves them, and the second shows people who are the
followers of Christ. Now for a third ‘signpost’ …]
III. THE SIGNPOST OF HOPE
A. THE VALUE OF HOPE…
1. It can prompt people to ask us questions – 1Pe 3:15
2. It can provide us opportunity to share the reason for our hope
– 1Pe 3:15
B. SO HOPE IS A SIGNPOST TO THE WORLD…
1. Presuming that our hope is something:
a. Noticeable, prompting people to ask “Why?”
b. Based upon reason, i.e., evidences for our faith
2. Especially when our hope is:
a. Accompanied by peace and joy – Ro 5:1-2
b. Steadfast even in tribulation – Ro 5:3-4
c. Based upon the love of God – Ro 5:5
d. Made sure by the resurrection of Jesus – 1Pe 1:3-4
C. THUS THE IMPORTANCE OF HOPE…
1. Led Peter to command Christians to set their hope fully on the
grace to come – 1Pe 1:13
2. Led Peter to command Christians to always be ready to explain
their hope – 1Pe 3:15
[To unity, love, and hope as “Divine Signposts”, let’s now consider a
IV. THE SIGNPOST OF GOOD WORKS
A. THE VALUE OF GOOD WORKS…
1. They can lead men to glorify our Father in heaven – Mt 5:16 16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
2. They can lead men to glorify God in the day of visitation
– 1Pe 2:12 12 Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.
B. SO GOOD WORKS IS A SIGNPOST TO THE WORLD…
1. Directing people to consider the motivation behind such works
2. Opening people up to the gospel message which inspires such
works – cf. 1Pe 3:1-2
C. THUS THE IMPORTANCE OF GOOD WORKS…
1. Led Paul to command that we be ready for every good work – Ti
3:1 Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good,
2. Led Paul to command that we be careful to maintain good works
– Tit 3:8,14 8 This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.
14 Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order to provide for urgent needs and not live unproductive lives.
1. With such “Divine Signposts”, we can see how people can be led to
Christ… And this is what the Church is suppose to look like!
a. Our unity can convince people of God’s love for them in sending
b. Our love can direct them to true disciples of Christ
c. Our hope can prompt them to ask questions as to the reason for our
d. Our good works can encourage them to glory God by their own
obedience to the gospel
Does what we say, and do reflect Christ in our lives, our families and those we are in contact with on a daily basis?
Today God wants us to examine or intention, search or hearts, ask ourselves is what we are doing glorifying HIM and HIS kingdom purpose?
Are the signs there for change?
Is God tugging at your heart string and wanting you to see the things that are right in front of you and calling out for you to surrender?